Good morning! Here is today's line up:
- Board interviews underway
- Careers Follow Up
- Events this week, Screening tomorrow!
- Knowledge: Great TED talks (TED = Technology, Entertainment, Design -- did you know that?)
Everyone who applied for board positions will be contacted this week for interviews. Next week we will announce all new team members and begin to solicit input from the entire club on next steps across community building, workshops, careers and more. Stay Tuned
Thank you so much to John and Evelyn for hosting Design Wednesday last week and big thanks to our panelists and to Robyn and Jen from Career Management! If you have questions, please follow up with the appropriate people below. To see the slides we presented, please join the club and then email email@example.com.
- Hiro - frog, Innovation Consulting, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anant - Fahrenheit 212, email@example.com
- Izzy - Deloitte Innovation+Growth, firstname.lastname@example.org
- John - Razorfish, Digital Agency, email@example.com
- David - Navistar, New Balance, Alcoa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robyn Ettinger, Recruiting Relationship Manager, email@example.com
- Jennifer Savoie, Career Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
DesignPhiladelphia week-long "Experience Design"
This entire week there are many events around Philadlphia! Check out the link. DesignPhiladelphia demonstrates, supports and promotes the ability that design has to generate innovation, solve problems, enhance daily life, and influence both the perception and economics of the region. Link: http://events.designphiladelphia.org/
"Design Thinking" Documentary this Tuesday Oct 14 @ 337 Towne Building
How do we fully engage organizations to think about the changing landscape of business, culture and society? Inspired by design thinking, this documentary grabs businessman, designers, social change-makers and unlikely individuals to portray what they have in common when facing this ambiguous 21st century. What is design thinking? How is it applied in business models? How are people changing the world with their own creative minds?
Join the Integrated Product Design program at University of
Pennsylvania in this Philadelphia premiere screening of Design &
Thinking, followed by a Philly-area student design panel discussion on
what Design & Thinking means to them. http://designthinkingmovie.com/
Don't worry if you can't make this - we will be working to do our own screening as well.
Here is a great series of talks on TED about storytelling. Chimanada alone will give you knew perspective on the importance of staying hungry to learn about others in order to avoid the risk of "a critical misunderstanding" that can befall people who only know
Why do we love our favorite stories? Do they need a beginning, middle
and end, and a character who changes by the conclusion? Masters of
storytelling explore new answers to age-old questions of the craft.
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The danger of a single story
- Isabel Allende: Tales of passion
- Andrew Stanton: The clues to a great story
- J.J. Abrams: The mystery box
- Elif Shafak: The politics of fiction
- Scott McCloud: The visual magic of comics